The end as it came-1




THE END AS IT CAME

Rony Brown

Episode one
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

                                                              

I was always certain that the day that I would die, I’d be surrounded by a myriad of family members; they’d be holding my hands and singing a familiar tune till my EKG flat-lined. Maybe that will be in my next life, if there be a next life, because lying right here on the cold marble floor with a gun to my head, no one needs to tell me that I am breathing my last.

My thoughts quickly spiral to that of how I got into this blasted situation.

It was the brush of Mr. Armah’s hand on my face that woke me up. Mr. Armah is my husband and the father of my six month old daughter. Knowing that today was going to be my first day at work after the maternity leave, he had to wake me up. The other option was to leave my tired body in dream world and face my wrath after it woke on its own accord.

When I finally stirred awake I could tell he had been looking at me drool for a while now. I quickly hid my face in protest.

"Don’t do that!"

He burst into one of his half-amused-half-aroused laughter. That was when I knew that if I did not get out of bed, I was going to be stuck in it all day. Thinking about it now, I wish I just stayed in bed.

I walked to the bathroom and I remember how my body objected to the chill of the water that stroke my back. But my husband was not going to give up trying just because I was in the bathroom or rather he was going to try because I was in the bathroom.

I met his gaze at the bathroom door; he was naked. He stood proud and tall and with a raw and carnal look in his eyes. It was settled, I was not going anywhere for at least fifteen minutes. He moved gracefully and joined me under the shower. He stood a head taller than me and he sized me up as though he was looking at me for the first time. I immediately felt self-conscious and dropped my gaze. I must admit after the caesarean session I did not think I was still as desirable as I used to be. But his body's reaction to my naked body jolted my gaze back to his face. I could not hide my surprise.

"What," He asked, "did you think I would not want you anymore because of a few scars?"

A tear fell out of my eye and I hoped to God he did not see it.

"O Sandra," He moaned, "Sandra!"

He cupped my face and just as he was going to execute one of his greatest masterpiece on my lips little Armah’s voice startled us. Over the receiver, she wailed bitterly; her way of demanding that she's not to be ignored.

"Don’t worry, Mr. Armah. Rain check?" I quickly wrapped the towel and run to Little Armah’s room to see to the emergency, if there was any at all. When I got there, her thumb was stuck in her mouth and her eyes were closed shut.


At that moment, standing there dripping wet, I felt like the silliest mother in the whole world and I shook my head in woe; "mummyhood" was going to be one hell of a ride for me.


At eight thirty a.m. I was at my parent’s door with Little Armah in one hand and her supplies in the other. I scuttled back to my car which had its engine still running.
 
I got stuck in rush hour traffic. There was a lot of time to think on my manager's words. I remember the feeling of trepidation run throughout the length of my body as I recalled his exact words.

"Having a child is going to change everything in your life. Are you ready?"

I thought back on how I scoffed at his words and derided the magnitude of his chauvinism.
But I was stuck in traffic and for the first time I was fifteen minutes late for work. It made me realize that he was right; everything has changed. 
 
Then again, his words just didn't matter. 1 was glad he was right.

The bank was still closed when I got there. I think I forgot  to add (and why won't I?) that I was an accountant at the Titanium Trust Bank's main branch in the Greater Accra Region. So yes, at thirty minutes after nine and with the bank still closed, there must have been something really wrong.
 
There were a steaming  crowd of impatient customers at the front door. The worker’s gate was opened by the same gate keeper and the worker's parking lot was full as usual. I found my favorite spot was unoccupied and I parked sullenly. If everything is in place, why was the bank not opened?

"Surprise!" Every familiar face chimed when I entered the worker’s lodge. Unbelievable! The bank was unopened because they were waiting for me!
 
 Unbelievable!

The manager boomed, "Now, blow out the darn candles and let’s get to work. You owe us one Mrs. Armah!"

The feeling of euphoria was out of the world. Even though it was the shortest welcome party ever, I could feel the love oozing out of everyone. I was glad to be back. In five minutes, I was back at the counter feeling as though I had never left.

Exactly when that feeling was overcoming me, I heard the blasts of AK-47 tearing through the concrete roof. I can never forget the voice, the sheer desperation and anger in it, when he said rather coolly, "Everyone down!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JOB NO DEY BY KWAW LYRICS

MONDAY MOTIVATION

LONGER THAN A SHORT STORY: SHE THINKS SHE STANDS