THE END AS IT CAME-FINALE



 THE END AS IT CAME

Rony Brown

Episode finale


 

I built a whole new life from the ground; new house, new identity, and even a new accent. To think that all this happened in the span of five years… Sometimes I look back with regret as I do now but leaving my family behind with no trace was my best and only option.

I moved way up north, turned myself into a teacher with my reward being shea butter and tomato from grateful parents. Every day is a routine that rarely changes. But I never kid myself. I have no illusions of safety. Actually every day I only grow the more scared.

The news is filled with many murders these days; people mutilated beyond recognition and people killed so as to look like they were victims of one ritual or the other. If only the police could connect the dots.

I lift up my eyes and stare listlessly at the board. It is filled with newspaper clippings. Almost fifty gruesome killings have so far been recorded within the short span of three months. Their bodies scattered all over the country and their loved ones unable to identify them.

Only one thought plagues my mind; I am next.

“You are next.”

I still. There is no way I will not recognize this voice even if I lose my mind. I can only pray he makes my death swift.

“You are not even going to look at me?”

He saunters from behind me and moves before me. I look up at him.

“I don’t care what you do to me. I am not afraid of you.”

He throws his head back and guffaws.

“You better be. I told you but you didn’t listen. Little Armah will pay, remember?”

I gasp. Then the familiar feel of rebellion stirs up in my heart.

“Be a man and face me. I am the one you want. You bastard…”

I lurch forward, screaming. I try to reach out for anything I can grab. But in a swift move, his fist obliterate my jaw. And with a thud on the cold ground everything is a black blur of darkness.

***

It takes a while for everything to stop running round me and they become one.

NO, NO, NO… the bastard!

“I can tell you like what you see.” Terry taunted.

“Please, please, please... They did nothing wrong. Believe me, it was all me.” I scream.

“You should have thought of that before you decided to press that damn button.” He screams back; spraying spit on my face.

“Terry…” He throws a slap across my face. If nothing at all, I believe his callouses alone are going to leave their mark on my face.

“Do you dare mention my name?” He slaps me again.

Little Armah screams but no, not Mr. Armah. He looks at me with scorn. Every last being of his fiber is screaming, ‘YOU GOT US HERE.’

That is the last straw. I break down and I start weeping.

“Don’t do this. Please, don’t do this now.” I say to Mr. Armah

He doesn’t say a word. But his jaws strain against his cheeks. He leans forward and try to get out of the ropes. I can see that they are cutting deep into his skin, but he doesn’t care.

“Please, stop this.” I also strain against my ropes.

“Aww, this is just so touchy. But as you know we have to get down to the first order of business.”

Terry coos.

“What are you going to do?” I begin to panic. There is not enough time for the cavalry if this maniac wants to finish things quickly.

“Get rid of the judgmental husband.”

Before I can even react he draws a knife from his pocket and slits my husband’s throat. Blood sprays everywhere and the metallic taste fills my mouth.

As though something possesses me, I scream and scream, my whole body shaking so much that I fall to the floor with the chair, still screaming.

And my poor baby… she is just five. She is just five! She is in shock. She cannot even react to seeing her father’s throat being ripped open as though it were some tomato.

 

***

“Mama, mama… today the teacher did not come to school.” Fati throws her school bag into the corner.

Mrs. Ayariga with trembling hands she finds her phone and speed dials. “They have taken her. They have taken her.” She screams into her phone.

***

Terry walks towards my daughter with evil intent oozing in every pore.

“Second order of business; deciding on whether to kill the baby or leave her alive.” A twinkle in his eyes and I know his choice is made.

“Wait!” Calm and confidence from nowhere takes over my body.

“Wow, I was expecting you to scream till all this was over and done with.”

“I know that you think you are doing this for you dead wife, what’s her name…”

“Don’t you dare mention her…”

“Nancy is not dead.”

He stops mid stride. This can go either ways but I am willing to take my chances.

“How dare you?” His voice cracks. I take advantage of his moment of weakness and advance my cause.

“Why, do you think I will take all these years biting my nails and running from you? Her father has her. Yes, the arch rival of your father’s gang. The same one you are running now.”

“You are lying.”

“I am not!”

He walks towards my daughter and curls his long fingers around her tiny neck.

“I am going to snap…”

“She is not lying.” A female’s voice slices through the thickness and foulness.

“Nancy?” Terry approaches her.

“Not another step.” An older man’s voice booms.

“Philip? You better put away that gun. I only want to talk to Nancy.” Terry’s menancing voice sends chills down my spine.

“I don’t want to talk to you. Let them go.” Nancy says.

“No, these people must pay.”

“For what?” she laughs, “My death? As you can see I am well and alive.”

“And the baby?”

“Safe and very far away from you.”

“Nancy!” This time Terry sounds like half the man he is. He roars with the vigor of a wounded lion, “Why?”

“Why?” Nancy was incredulous, “You wanted to kill our baby. You think I will not realize how I only got weakened after your early morning breakfast in bed? You only wanted me dead, so you could have an excuse to proof your worth to your dad. But you promised me… No more drugs. No more letting our parents decide our future. You promised me Terry.” She broke down.

“Not another step.” The old man says as Terry reaches out to console Nancy. Terry is suddenly enraged. He charges on the old man but before he could take another step a bullet penetrates his chest.

The old man unties my ropes.

“My men will clean this up.”

I thank him profusely.His tracker and help is the only reason why I and my daughter are still alive. My daughter…

I go on to untie her ropes. I hold her in my arms and tears freely flow. I am oblivious to the world. Finally this is over.

Then I realise she is struggling in my arms. She pushes me away and throws a slap across my face with her little hand.

“You killed my daddy.” She screams and run out.

My eyes meet those of Terry’s. He throws me an evil grin and breathes his last. Indeed my end has come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JOB NO DEY BY KWAW LYRICS

MONDAY MOTIVATION

LONGER THAN A SHORT STORY: SHE THINKS SHE STANDS